MISSING

This weekend was our annual city Fall Festival, Maple Leaf, and like most fall festivals, it includes lots of food vendors and food trucks. Except for the parade, the food used to be my favorite aspect of Maple Leaf, but while the kettle corn definitely smelled good, I didn’t at all feel deprived. 

Part of our Maple Leaf tradition is a brunch at my mom’s house. What was amazing to me this year was how many options there were for keto/gluten-free/paleo people. I sincerely appreciate when people take the time to make foods that everyone can enjoy. I brunched on some food that followed the keto woe, and felt full until dinner time.

A couple of weeks ago, I started to think about funnel cakes at fall festivals. This was always my go-to. I am so resolved to stay on-track, that I came up with my own keto funnel cake recipe that is AWESOME! There’s almost always a keto alternative.... it’s not always as good, but it is always better for you, physiologically and psychologically. 

Instead of focusing on food, I enjoyed walking around downtown, looking at the crafts, seeing old friends and current friends, and thought not about what I was missing out on, because I don’t miss it. I never ever would’ve believed someone if they told me I would feel that way a couple of years ago, but I surprised myself. 

I bought a 40 lb decorative slab of marble as outdoor decor, and carried it a quarter of a mile back to my car without breaking a sweat. All I could think of was how much exercise credit I was getting on my Apple Watch. 

Sometimes I miss popcorn, sometimes I miss potatoes, sometimes I miss tortillas, and sometimes I miss chips. What I don’t miss? Being addicted to food, being out of shape, self-deprecating thoughts, guilt, chronic fatigue, and PCOS. 


Comments